LINUX-L 2007

Re: 6TB Partition

Ken Sallot <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Jan 2007 15:20:57 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Jeff Lasman wrote:

> On Wednesday 03 January 2007 04:39 am, Ken Sallot wrote:
>
> > I believe Novell has one or two guys maintaining reiser 3.6.  Hans
> > wasn't actively supporting it anyway because he was trying to push
> > everyone towards reiser 4.
>
> Novell actually announced they were dropping support for ReiserFS a few
> days before the annuncement of Hans' arrest.

Not entirely.  Their announcement was that ReiserFS would no longer be the
default file system for suse linux:

But you'll still be able to install suse linux on a reiser partition.

> > BTW, I think namesys is up for sale if you want to get into the file
> > system business.
>
> The question is how much would it be worth without Hans Reiser?
> Depending on if you think him a an asset or a liability, either or more
> or less than it would cost without him.

Well, Hans isn't the only person at Namesys, and I suppose the IP has some
value to someone.

> Note this is not meant to be any kind of indictment of Hans Reiser.  I
> know him personally.  The last time I saw him (he was with his wife and
> kids and they seemed to be getting along well as a family, which goes
> against a lot of what's been said about him in the press recently) he
> told me I probably shouldn't consider Reiser4 yet, and that I should
> consider ReiserFS (3) only if I needed a lot of small files.  For
> example, I might have decided (but didn't) to use it for a Maildir
> partition.

I have no opinion on the Hans Reiser case, and am sufficiently uninformed
about the details behind the murder charges that I'll continue to have no
opinion until the case is settled.  I suspect that the case will take
quite awhile before it's settled.

Aside from the case, on the technical merits of Reiser3 -vs- Reiser4, R4
isn't fully baked and I've had one too many crashes of R3 systems which
required the 72 hour rebuild-tree fix.  OTOH, xfs has been the bomb.