LINUX-L 2007

Re: Online tool

Gavin Baker <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Jan 2007 00:30:52 -0500

text/plain

It wasn't this site, but a similar site saved my butt a few weeks ago. I
was giving a presentation in a class in the NWE labs, which run Solaris
with StarOffice. I'd made my slides in OO.o and saved them in ODF,
without thinking about opening them on another machine. Turns out the
old version of StarOffice doesn't read the format used in OO.o 2, only
the old StarOffice formats used in OO.o 1. I was about to be in big
trouble until I found a site that converted ODF -> PDF, which I could open.

On the privacy issue, I wouldn't use this (or anything online, even with
a privacy policy) for anything sensitive. However, it'd be neat if
someone released FOSS server software that did this which one could
install on one's own box.

Gavin