LINUX-L 2007

Grub errors :(

Mark Oden <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 7 Apr 2007 00:36:27 -0400

text/plain

I have been trying to troubleshoot some GRUB issues I've been having.
Sometimes I get errors like "GRUB: hard disk not found" or "GRUB: Error
15".  I have since loaded up knoppix, ran install-grub a few times, but
haven't been able to determine the proper syntax for my root partition.
I currently have root (hd0,0) set, but after Grub loads and selects the
kernel to boot I get "Error 15: File not found".  Is there a command to
have grub detect my root partition? (i.e. if it would return (hd0,1) or
(hd3,2)) I think that's the biggest problem I'm having, I don't know
what the root partition should be! (I've tried several combinations of
hd0, but I have 5 disks and am not sure of all the combinations).

Some things I do know, after mounting /dev/hda1 (which is the disk that
has /boot) in knoppix, I chroot to that drive and run grub-install, I
get all my disks back with something similar to:

(hd0) /dev/hda

but the updated menu.lst file doesn't do any good when I reboot.

Any tidbits of helpfulness?

Thanks,

~Mark Oden