LINUX-L 2007

Re: OLPC demo @ UF this Saturday

"Allen S. Rout" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:38:47 -0400

text/plain

>> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:27:39 -0400, Tom Miller <[log in to unmask]> said:

> So what then is the difference whether you are sending free water
> machines or laptop computers? Neither one will get to its intended
> destination with any certainty.

A warlord has a really good use for water machines: they help him
control subjects / vassals/ serfs / slaves / pick-your-term.

He's got no use for laptops: they are pretty good at freeing, but it's
hard to use them to enslave.

Now, Dan:  If we work reprap-like

http://www.reprap.org/

to arrive at a kit so that a village can -make- a water machine, (and
re-make it when the warlord comes by and busts it), then we've really
gotten somewhere.

But we've got to be able to talk to them, first.

... And the laptops are concievably a profound defensive weapon
against the warlords.  Think 802.whatever antennas, long-distance line
of sight stuff.  If I can tell the next village over, "They're on the
way"...

In most of the poorest parts of the world, the problems are not
engineering problems; IMO they won't be fixed with industrial
infrastructure.

This should have been happening over beer Wednesday, not now.  I'm
done. :)

- Allen S. Rout