LINUX-L 2007

Accessing/checking raid1

Mauricio Tavares <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 May 2007 13:17:41 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

        I have a HP machine running RHES4 here which has/seems to claim
its controller is a compaq smart array (during boot time it identifies
itself as hp smart array 6i, but who am I to disagree?). Connected to it
are two hard drives. For some reason, one of its hard drives died on
Sunday.  It worked for a day and then when we tried to boot it, it would
stop at at very limited grub screen. I then booted it off the centos
liveCD. The hardware browser the disk is mounted at /dev/cciss/c0d0. The
hardware browser not only finds it but also shows me the different
partitions defined in it. I would put its output here but I do not know
the equivalent command.  So, let me show what I know so far:

[root@netips31 ~]# mke2fs -n /dev/cciss/c0d0
mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
Filesystem label=

OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
17924096 inodes, 35841780 blocks
1792089 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
Maximum filesystem blocks=37748736
1094 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
16384 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
        32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632,
        2654208, 4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872

[root@netips31 ~]# e2fsck -b 819200 /dev/cciss/c0d0
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open
/dev/cciss/c0d0

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

[root@netips31 ~]# dmesg | grep ccis
cciss: Device 0x46 has been found at bus 2 dev 1 func 0
cciss: using DAC cycles
 cciss/c0d0: unknown partition table
VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev cciss/c0d0.
[root@netips31 ~]#

Now, inside dev/cciss is only one file: c0d0. So, I do not see how I would
be abl to mount those volumes. Where do I go from here?