LINUX-L 2007

Re: Accessing/checking raid1

Mauricio Tavares <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 May 2007 09:21:18 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Shawn McMahon wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 13:17 -0400, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
> > I have a HP machine running RHES4 here which has/seems to claim
> > its controller is a compaq smart array (during boot time it identifies
> > itself as hp smart array 6i, but who am I to disagree?).
>
> Makes sense; HP bought Compaq.  Model number is probably DL-something.

	Yeah, I actually went to the hp website and, according to
http://tinyurl.com/ytr3ww (preview at http://preview.tinyurl.com/ytr3ww),
there are no drivers for it.  I guess that means there is no need for a
driver because it is a true hardware raid thingie.  I can live with that.

> > [root@netips31 ~]# mke2fs -n /dev/cciss/c0d0
> > mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
> > Filesystem label=
> >
> > OS type: Linux
> > Block size=4096 (log=2)
> > Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
> > 17924096 inodes, 35841780 blocks
> > 1792089 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
> > First data block=0
> > Maximum filesystem blocks=37748736
> > 1094 block groups
> > 32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
> > 16384 inodes per group
> > Superblock backups stored on blocks:
> >         32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632,
> >         2654208, 4096000, 7962624, 11239424, 20480000, 23887872
> >
> > [root@netips31 ~]# e2fsck -b 819200 /dev/cciss/c0d0
> > e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
> > e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open
> > /dev/cciss/c0d0
> >
> > The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> > filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> > filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> > is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
> >     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
> >

> > [root@netips31 ~]# dmesg | grep ccis
> > cciss: Device 0x46 has been found at bus 2 dev 1 func 0
> > cciss: using DAC cycles
> >  cciss/c0d0: unknown partition table
> > VFS: Can't find a valid FAT filesystem on dev cciss/c0d0.
> > [root@netips31 ~]#
> >
> > Now, inside dev/cciss is only one file: c0d0. So, I do not see how I would
> > be abl to mount those volumes. Where do I go from here?
>
> "fdisk /dev/cciss/c0d0"  should enable you to print the partition table
> if it's not totally hosed.  That will give you the information you need
> to mount the disks, and also to make that mke2fs command work; c0d0 is
> not a filesystem, mke2fs works on filesystems.  Filesystems would be
> things like "/dev/cciss/c0d0p2".

	If you run fdisk as you suggested, you will get the following
error message (stolen from above):

Now, if you read the man page for mke2fs, you will see that "-n" will
provide the block location for the backup superblocks. So, I tried to use
that info to feed back fsck (or e2fsck as it is being called anyway).
Unfortunately I tried each backup block and still got the same error.
Also, when I checked the contents of /dev/cciss/, I did not find the
filesystems associated with c0d0:

[root@netips31 ~]# ls -l /dev/cciss/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root     60 May 16 05:49 .
drwxr-xr-x  9 root root   5660 May 16 05:52 ..
brw-------  1 root root 104, 0 May 16 05:49 c0d0
[root@netips31 ~]#

And yet centos liveCD's hardware browser can see the partitions.