LINUX-L 2007

http won't run because of pdflush

Jeff Lasman <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 May 2007 09:12:04 -0700

text/plain

It's taken about a week to figure out a weird problem with apache2.

The server is a webhosting server run by a control panel, and apache
gets restarted from time to time as users make changes to domain setups
(beyond our control).

Whitebox 3.0
Kernel 2.4.21-15

But apache is installed from source, not from RPMs.

Almost once daily it refuses to restart.

When I try to restart it from the command prompt the restart goes into a
loop; I finally found this (from another shell) will stop it:

# service httpd restart

The above stops both services so they stop calling each other, and the
loop stops.  Then I looked through the output of the looping commands
and found that http couldn't listen on port 443 because the kernel
process pdflush was holding port 443.

The process appeared in the output of ps waux as [pdflush].  I thought
that meant it was defunct.  True?

Anyway, I did a kill -9 on the pid, and it disappeared from my ps waux
output.  Then apache2 restarted normally.

Any idea as to how I might stop this from occurring again?

I've never had this on any of our many servers running apache1, and this
is the only apache2 server we run.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
P.O. Box 52200, Riverside, CA  92517