LINUX-L 2007

Re: ftpd question

Charles Seeger <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:41:07 -0400

text/plain

+------ Mauricio Tavares wrote (Fri,  8-Jun-2007, 08:54 -0400):

| 	Religious question: wu-ftpd or proftpd and why?

I'm not sure there is any rationale that would prompt me to us wu-ftpd,
other than inertia or nostalgia.  After that, you should also consider
vsftpd, or even DJB's (publicfile or whatever it is called).  If you
Google for both names, there are a number of pages comparing them.
I haven't read through them, so I can't comment on any of them.
Probably the best short answer is to use vsftpd if you are confident
of it meeting your needs.  OTOH, proftpd can be tailored to do more
things, is patterned after (and borrowed code from) Apache, and is
relatively nice to work with as far as writing your own extensions.

As a former proftpd contributor, a couple years ago I nearly was
motivated to work on it again.  The big project would have been
to adopt the Apache portable runtime, though I wanted to look at
some security related stuff (e.g. capabilities, RBAC).  I would
have done a bit of code audit, in part using vsftpd for comparison.
Anyway, I never got around to it.  8-/

I would be reasonably comfortable using proftpd except on a really
security sensitive host.  However, be aware that extension modules
potentially could introduce weaknesses.  The current maintainer,
TJ Saunders, is pretty responsive.  Blame me if you don't like the
INSTALL document.  It was intentionally crafted as a 12 step process.  8-)
But feel free to pass along any suggestions.

Best Regards,
Chuck