]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LINUX-L Home

LINUX-L  2007

LINUX-L 2007

Re: scp and sftp... rssh, scponly, or "other"

Jeff Lasman <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:48:15 -0700

text/plain

On Monday 11 June 2007 02:11 pm, Dan Stoner wrote:

> [log in to unmask] wrote:

> > your users? While not an ideal solution, by any means there are a
> > number of open source utilities that run from a web browser which
> > can be put on ssl (https) from which the user can upload and
> > download files securely (when coupled with an adequate auth
> > mechanism) As for the utilities
>
> Somebody else (off-list) suggested WebDAV.  The most popular
> Operating Systems out there today all have WebDAV support built-in.
> I had forgotten about WebDAV as an option for this function.

We've been offering a browser-based solution as well as proftpd for
sometime now for our webhosting clients.  But the browser-based
solutions upload everything as the apache user, which creates problems
for some users, especially those who switch back and forth.

I don't know if WebDAV can upload as the user or only as httpd, but I've
been told that using it precludes the use of FrontPage Extensions, and
many of our users are still (perhaps unfortunately) dependent on them.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
P.O. Box 52200, Riverside, CA  92517