LINUX-L 2007

Re: 137 GB limit

Tom Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:25:57 -0400

text/plain

Bill Schwab wrote:
> I have read some statements
> that Linux does not use the bios and is therefore immune to any such
> problems, but I find that hard to believe.
It may be hard to believe, but it's true. Once the BIOS has handed over
operation of the computer to the kernel, Linux doesn't care what size
BIOS thinks the hard drives are. It communicates directly with the IDE
controller to get the information from the drive. It uses an IDE command
called, surprisingly, IDENTIFY DRIVE to get the CHS, LBA, or 48-bit LBA
depending on the size of the drive. So, you can plug pretty much any ATA
drive into your old computer and Linux will see the correct size. You
will want a /boot partition that is in the area the BIOS can see, near
the beginning of the disk. I do agree with the previous comment here
that if you expect high performance from the disks you want to put them
on separate controllers, not just separate channels on the same controller.

-Tom