LINUX-L 2007

Ubuntu display resolution limit bug?

Bill Schwab <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:40:55 -0400

text/plain

Hello,

So far so good with the old bios and big drive.  From the beginning, I
was using an old Pixo monitor a friend handed down to me years ago, and
it was not new even then.  On the down side, it is 15 inch, but it has
always displayed a very clear image, so I was happy to use it.

The first sign of trouble was that its power management became overly
aggressive, or so it seems to me.  When told to power on, it would stay
on only when there is a stable video signal from the machine.  So much
for seeing POST output, etc., and getting into the BIOS setup reduced to
blindly tapping F1 several times and then turning on the monitor.  I can
live with that; it really is a nice monitor from a visual perspective.

Next I noticed it was stuck in 800x600 mode - I most certainly cannot
live with that :(   Assuming it was the monitor going bad, I attached a
different old monitor, bigger, higher resolution, not quite as nice an
image.  After reboot, it too was stuck in 800x600 at best.

Enter google, and I found references to a bug and manual edits to the
X11 config, in particular adding refresh rates.  That worked, but I am
wondering whether there is a better solution?  Might the first monitor
have triggered the problem?

I have an LCD monitor that I will probably end up using on this machine
as I find Ubuntu solutions to a few more tasks.  However, if this points
to PnP or similar woes in Ubuntu, I want to understand what is wrong,
how to fix it, Canonical's response to it, etc.

Comments/suggestions?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida