]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LINUX-L Home

LINUX-L  2007

LINUX-L 2007

Real player for Linux - any hassles or better options?

Bill Schwab <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 8 Aug 2007 21:21:52 -0400

text/plain

Hello all,

The Windows box I use for net access at home is getting very flaky, and
I am almost to the point of putting the drive in my Ubuntu system for a
one-time file transfer.  Almost.  Games I can largely live w/o or simply
play on other machines.  One thing that I would seriously miss is
streaming video (NASA TV in particular -
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/).  I have had enough trouble with
AV formats that I didn't even try the stuff in the menus, but I did do
some searching and quickly landed at http://www.real.com/linux.  Anyone
tried it?  Is it going to make me sorry I installed it?  Any better
options?  NASA offers windows media, real, flash and quick time.  Is
there a clear lesser of evils?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida