LINUX-L 2007

Re: Huh?

Dan Stoner <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Jan 2007 14:13:59 -0500

text/plain

Bruce H McIntosh wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 18:21 -0500, Nong wrote:
>> Oh, we have nothing to worry about? :-(
>>
>> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt
>
> That is one of the most disturbing things I've read, and I've been in
> this industry a LONG time.  There's enough stuff in there to get me to
> categorically refuse to recommend/purchase/install Vista on any system
> over which  I have any administrative control, and I'm less than halfway
> through it.

The good news is that the entertainment industry has tightened their
grip so much and reached so far into the average joe's personal space
that regular folk might finally stand up and take notice.

Internet communication and the blogosphere has made it more difficult
for Microsoft's Marketing Machine... there are many many more people
calling "bullshit" now than during any prior Windows release.

The fact that Windows Vista will require many people to buy a new
computer just to run the OS will help Apple and Linux adoption on the
desktop.

All of this is getting more mainstream media attention because the
information is "out there" more than ever before.

Things definitely feel "different" this time and Microsoft seems to have
crossed a line that even non-geeks can appreciate.

- Dan