LINUX-L 2007

Re: On-Campus Internet Access

"P. Oscar Boykin" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:08:55 -0400

text/plain

To connect with Ubuntu, I recommend the following:

1 install the vpnc client and the plugin for network-manager:
# sudo apt-get install vpnc network-manager-vpnc
This above should restart network-manager.

2 Click on the network icon in your "system tray" area (the thing that
looks like two computer monitors).  You should now see an entry for
"VPN Connections".  Go into that menu and click "configure VPN".

3 The above should open the "VPN Connections" window.  Click "Add".

4 I recommend using "UF VPN" as the Connection Name.  For the gateway
use: vpn.ns.ufl.edu, for the group name use vpn-auth.

5 On the optional tab click "Override user name" and add your UF email
address (in my case, [log in to unmask]) and click apply.

6 Now you can connect to the vpn by clicking the network icon, going
to VPN connections and clicking "UF VPN".  It will ask you for your
password (your gatorlink password) and the group password.

7 The group password is a secret which is contained in the
configuration files you can download from:
http://net-services.ufl.edu/~ns/cgi-bin/vpn/vpn-clients.cgi
in the pcf file.  The following web page will decrypt the password in
the pcf file for use with vpnc:
http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/bin/cisco-decode

Actually, I just did a search and found this:

http://www.gatorlug.org/node/122

Which basically gives the exact same steps as above, it might also be helpful.

Good luck.

--
P. Oscar Boykin                            http://boykin.acis.ufl.edu
Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering