LINUX-L 2007

Re: 6TB Partition

Mauricio Tavares <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Jan 2007 08:24:35 -0500

text/plain

Edward Allcutt wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 07:38 -0500, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>> 	Easy newbie question: which filesystem can I use that allows me to have
>> a 6TB partition (centos 4.4 on a 64bit dual xeon box)? I have this 6TB
>> hardware raid5 beast I want to mount as a single partition. So, I tried
>> to do mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 /dev/sda1 but the array is being shown to have
>> only 133GB:
> ext3 on an i386 system should be able to cope with partitions up to
> 16TB. Your problem is probably with df.

	So, what you mean is that I *should* have a 6TB partition in that
x86_64 box, but it is just that df is lying to me?

> The only other fs I'd recommend is jfs, but I've found it rather slow at
> times. XFS has some troubles with power failures; ext4 is too new to
> trust and reiser is, um, reiser...

	Yeah, I was thinking on xfs, but you suggest jfs instead?  How come?
Speed is not an issue as this machine is primarily to do backup to disk
(before going to tape/tsm).

	On a side note, should I put this entire mess inside a lvm partition?