]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LINUX-L Home

LINUX-L  2007

LINUX-L 2007

Re: "build your own sputnik" (BBC article)

Bob Johnson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Nov 2007 16:10:25 -0500

text/plain

On Wednesday 07 November 2007 14:18, Shawn McMahon wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 14:47 -0400, Bob Johnson wrote:
> > etc.  Almost all modern technologies have been developed the same way:
> > early international telephone calls cost $10/minute at a time when $10
> > was a week's pay for a secretary. They had customers. The first cell
> > phones cost $3/minute when a secretary got $5/hour. They had plenty of
> > customers. The first commercial airliners... well I don't know what they
> > cost, but it was rich people flying in them.  They each became affordable
> > because enough rich people bought the service to keep it in business long
> > enough to pay off development costs and gain enough experience to become
> > efficient enough that the average person could afford it. If you want to
> > kill the future of cheap space transport, then increase taxes on the
> > rich, or increase taxes on the profits made by investing in space flight
> > (we call those "capital gains taxes").
>
> Sex.  That's what will drive the prices down.  Phone sex drove the phone
> down, and people flying around "on business" were mostly just looking
> for hookers who didn't get their nails done at the same salon as the
> wife.
>
> Mark my words, when somebody opens a brothel at L5, we'll all have cheap
> space travel.

That's an excellent point. Demand for mail-order sex videos is widely credited
with making VCRs affordable in the 1980s (and also driving down the cost of
in-theater sex movies, before they went out of business entirely).

Sex in orbit! That's the goal that Bush should have set for the U.S. space
program.  Sex on Mars is just too far away. The good news is that a private
company has already put a 1/3 scale prototype of their proposed space hotel
in orbit. Won't be long now.

- Bob