LINUX-L 2007

Re: Call centers are now using Asterisk

Bob Johnson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Nov 2007 14:25:36 -0500

text/plain

On Tuesday 27 November 2007 12:57, Bill Merriam wrote:

> Note that there are legal problems with recording phone calls.  When I
> actually take a call I inform callers that they are being recorded.
> This causes callers with good lawyers to hang up.  Less well briefed
> callers continue the call and lie on record.  Citigroup has been fined
> millions of dollars for lying to customers.  They will no longer allow
> their employees to be recorded.

My understanding is that (in Florida) it is legal to record a phone call if
either party to the call consents to the recording, i.e. if you consent then
you can record calls that you are participating in without telling the other
end. Unless the law has changed (IANAL and all that), of course.

Last time I checked (about 25 years ago), federal law allowed you to record a
call if you put an audible beep on the line every 30 seconds (or whatever) to
indicate the call was being recorded. Don't have any idea if that is still in
effect.

- Bob