LINUX-L 2007

Re: OLPC...

"Allen S. Rout" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:26:37 -0500

text/plain

>> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:44:26 -0500, Bob Johnson <[log in to unmask]> said:

> So do they (intentionally) give you access to the tools to port what
> you want to it,

I think the answer to that is yes.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Software_components

It's all open.

As for the box itself, you can download and install whatever you like.
I expect that the set of apps promoted by the OLPC organization itself
will be focused on their ideological goals, but that's fine.

> They'll just make it illegal to hack the thing.

I don't know what that means, in context.  It's a fedora box.  By
'hack' do you mean install fedora without whatever call-home software
they desire?

> Too bad I can't afford to spend $400 for a $200 overgrown ruggedized
> PDA. I'd love to have one for my car.

Gee, bitter much?

I agree that it's a bad value if you don't like what it's doing.  The
eeepc seems much better positioned if what you want is a tiny portable
terminal or some such.  I wanted it, not for a terminal, but to
satisfy my notional fantasy of being able to fix a bug or something,
and test it on my very own testbed.  It may not come true, but oh
well.

- Allen S. Rout