LINUX-L 2007

Re: OLPC...

Brian Bartholomew <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Dec 2007 00:53:09 -0500

text/plain

> I expect that the set of apps promoted by the OLPC organization
> itself will be focused on their ideological goals

Hmm, I wonder what their ideological goals are?

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/HIG

	At its core, our journal concept embodies the idea that the
	filesystem records a history of the things a child has done,
	or, more specifically, the activities a child has participated
	in. Its function as the store of the objects created while
	performing those activities is secondary, although also
	important. The Journal naturally lends itself to a
	chronological organization (although it can be tagged,
	searched, and sorted by a variety of means). As a record of
	things a child has done -- not just the things a child has
	saved -- the Journal will read much like a portfolio or
	scrapbook history of the child's interactions with the machine
	and also with peers. The Journal combines entries explicitly
	created by the children with those which are implicitly
	created through participation in activities; developers must
	think carefully about how an activity integrates with the
	Journal more so than with a traditional filesystem that
	functions independently of an application. The activities, the
	objects, and the means of recording all tightly integrate to
	create a different kind of computer experience.

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Journal

	Description & Goals
	For the general public

	The Journal activity is an automated diary of everything a
	child does with his or her laptop. The Journal can be used by
	children to organize work or revisit a past project, and by
	teachers and parents to assess a child's progress.

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bitfrost

	No permanent data loss

	Information on the laptop will be replicated to some
	centralized storage place so that the student can recover it
	in the event that the laptop is lost, stolen or destroyed.

It's a mental tracking device. . . And you thought Vista was bad.

							Brian