LINUX-L 2007

Re: OLPC...

Tristan Lohman <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:23:37 +0000

text/plain

This doesn't sound like surveillance, more like a portfolio. A way for the kids to come home and say "hey mom, look what I did in school today!"

From: Bruce H McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>

Date:         Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:40:28
To:[log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: OLPC...

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 00:53 -0500, Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> > I expect that the set of apps promoted by the OLPC organization
> > itself will be focused on their ideological goals
>
> Hmm, I wonder what their ideological goals are?
>
>    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/HIG
>
> 	At its core, our journal concept embodies the idea that the
> 	filesystem records a history of the things a child has done,
> 	or, more specifically, the activities a child has participated
> 	in. ...

> It's a mental tracking device. . . And you thought Vista was bad.

Big freaking bloody Brother is watching your 3rd world children,
teaching them from a very early age that constant surveillance is
okiedokie.  These things ought to go over well in England, Land of A
Billion Cameras, where Orwell was less a cautionary prophet than a
social architect.

Spend your $400 with ASUS on an eeePC, so that they sell metric
bucketloads of 'em and their price comes down to that oh so magical
mystical $200 a pop.

Bruce H. McIntosh                            [log in to unmask]
Senior Network Engineer                      http://net-services.ufl.edu
University of Florida CNS/Network Services   352-392-2061