LINUX-L 2007

Re: ghost LVM haunts me

Dan Stoner <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:29:35 -0500

text/plain

Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>     How can I configure a linux box, which is being accessed through a
> liveCD disk, to stop looking for a lvm volume that does not exist
> anymore? Failing that, can I boot the beast in single user mode but
> convince it to stop looking for devices and just concentrate on booting
> off its boot HD, so I can then unleash some proper lvm-foo on it?

You might try a rescue disk (such as the CentOS 4.x Install disk 1,
choose "rescue" mode).

The CentOS disk does not mount any LVMs by default.  This should allow
you to view all of the lvms, run the lvm commands, etc.

And on your second question, are you asking how to boot into single user
mode on a Linux box?  This may or may not be useful, as single user mode
might not have access to the lvm tools until after the lvm drives have
been mounted  (depending on how the box was set up initially).

  Dan Stoner
  Network Administrator
  Florida Museum of Natural History
  University of Florida