LINUX-L 2007

File Deletion

Matt <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 30 Dec 2007 23:13:17 -0500

text/plain

This question arose from using the TrueCrypt disk encryption software. When
a file or folder is deleted from a file system, usually its just the link to
that object that is deleted. Operating systems with a trash can/recycle bin
facility record this deletion operation and allow for restoration of that
object. So, if I have created an encrypted file system within a file and
mounted it all using TrueCrypt and then deleted a file or folder within that
encrypted volume, would the file still be encrypted? I want to say yes since
the file is not actually moved into a trash (area which might not be in the
encrypted volume), only a log of its deletion is kept there.