LINUX-L 2007

Re: 6TB Partition

Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Jan 2007 10:24:37 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Mauricio Tavares wrote:

> 	Yeah, I was thinking on xfs, but you suggest jfs instead?  How come?
> Speed is not an issue as this machine is primarily to do backup to disk
> (before going to tape/tsm).

I'd be wary of XFS.  Unless you have some ridiculous amount of RAM in that
system to match the really big partition, you may find that when your XFS
corrupts, you don't have enough RAM to complete an XFS repair.  Search the
linux-xfs mailing list for more on that.

Do you really need 6TB in a single partition?  I wonder how many hours
(days?) it'll take to fsck if/when you finally have to do it?  I once had
a much smaller than that reiserfs take a weekend to repair.  BTW, has
anyone else picked up development of reiserfs?  I suspect Hans is busy
with other things.

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/06/12/22/0334259.shtml

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |