Re: Up-Coming Occultation

"Howard L. Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>

Howard L. Cohen

Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:21:23 -0500

text/plain

I'm puzzled.  I don't know of any planets that have a mag. of +4.

Also, typical Windows computers keep poor time.  Even if you
synchronize with WWV, they can be off after several minutes
pass.  Therefore, you need to continuously feed them WWV signals to
keep the time correct or the time may wander in an unpredictable fashion.

Many GPS devices were primarily built for location not for accurate
times -- the displayed time is probably only accurate to a
second.  If the receiver does not correctly account for leap seconds,
it may be many seconds off.

Depending on your location in the occultation path, the duration of
the event could last about 8 seconds but it also could be less than a
second if you are near the path's edge.

I am trying to write a basic article for FirstLight that will
acquaint the general reader with some simple info about the
occultation.  (I don't have time to write a detailed, tech
write-up.)  A few things I hope to point out is advanced preparation
including testing your setup days, if not weeks, in advance, whether
it be simple or not.  In addition, can your scope observe at a 5
degrees zenith distance?  And can you easily and quickly find Iota
Cancri since the event occurs at the end of nautical twilight when
skies are still not really dark?  (I have a table of nautical
twilight times I can put on the web and in the article.)  You will
also need to know your location quite accurately.  If you have a GPS,
that should be simple.  Otherwise you will need to mark your location
using easily identified landmarks so good maps or someone's GPS can
be later used to find where you observed.

At the next ATM meeting, we should probably review some basic items
to know for people who want to observe the occultation.  (I can bring
a list.)  Also, we need to coordinate our efforts so observers are
"spaced out" (geographically speaking)!

Everyone will need to decide how they want to observe and time the
event since it will depend on what equipment you have or can put together.

Howard