Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ATM-OBSERVERS-L Home

ATM-OBSERVERS-L  January 2007

ATM-OBSERVERS-L January 2007

Re: Up-Coming Occultation

"Tandy W. Carter Jr." <[log in to unmask]>

Tandy W. Carter Jr.

Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:34:56 -0500

text/plain

Hi Howard,

    You're right, I didn't make myself very clear there. I must remember to
engage my brain before putting my fingers in motion. :{)

    I know the clock in my laptop doesn't keep good time. So, what I do is I
synchronize the clock right before I go out to do my astronomy at home, or I
synchronize it right before I load it up into the car to go to the star
party. I also run only the programs absolutely necessary for my planned
astronomy for the evening. Of course, I wonder if it is the displayed time
that is bad and not the internal time. I would think that a timing chip
running at the speed of modern computers would keep the time spot on.
However, you're probably right that the displayed time is not accurate at
all. Since the time on my laptop is only displayed to the minute. I don't
know how SoftwareBisque handles the time it gets for the FITS header CCDSoft
uses.

    Yes, we do need to discuss this more at the next ATM meeting.

Tandy W. Carter Jr.
http://home.att.net/~tandy.carter/