Re: solar shingles?

Steve Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Jan 2007 12:21:50 -0500

My point was about vision, not technology.  For the latter, see the attached
very short article on recent tech advances, with embedded links to further
articles; I recommend Red Herring as a good source of cleantech news.
Another good source is http://news.com.com/.

Regarding solar roof technology, a good example of roof array systems is
Conergy AG: manufactures and supplies solar water pumps, photovoltaics and
roof mounts, and solar thermal components, sells only via distribution
partners to energy system dealers, water well suppliers, contractors
globally, implementing PV systems from 1 KWp domestic PV installations to
the world's largest PV Power station with 10 MWp; see
http://www.conergy.us/DesktopDefault.aspx

This recent development is exciting: Solar Cell Achieves 40% Efficiency
http://www.energy.gov/news/4503.htm
Boeing bought Spectrolab in 2000.  http://www.spectrolab.com/com/com.htm
For a fun look at one product:
http://www.spectrolab.com/DataSheets/PV/PV_NM_TASC_ITJ.pdf

For 2007, look for major commercializations of thin-film solar technology
using non-silicon materials that circumvent the silicon shortage and
substantially lower costs.  Major players in this arena are likely to
include:
First Solar: thin-film solar cells using cadmium telluride instead of
polysilicon, among the first to mass-produce thin-film modules, produced 20
megawatts in 2005 using semiconductor processes, and plans to triple
production by 2007; see www.firstsolar.com
Nanosolar Inc:  thin-film solar cells made from alternative materials,
commercializing 120-MW-capacity cells, for commercial, residential, and
utility-scale ground installations
Konarka Technologies: thin-film solar cells, acquired Siemens' organic
photovoltaic research department, received its first product orders from the
military, and developed a photovoltaic fiber for solar fabrics, focused on
consumer electronics

Dr. Stephen R. Humphrey, Director of Academic Programs,
School of Natural Resources and Environment,
Box 116455, 103 Black Hall, University of Florida
Gainesville, FL  32611-6455  USA
Tel. 352-392-9230, Fax 352-392-9748
http://snre.ufl.edu