Skip repetitive navigational links

Tethering Students to Their States/Indiana-Wisconsin proposal/article-links

Dan Kern <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Jan 2007 11:52:20 -0600

Jan. 4, 2007

Tethering Students to Their States

New state scholarship programs proposed in Indiana and Wisconsin would offer
funds to students attending in-state institutions, with strings attached -
or, as the man behind the Wisconsin proposal puts it, "tethers."

"If we can't lure them here, let's tether them here," said Mark O'Connell,
executive director of the Wisconsin Counties Association, a lobbying
organization, and a member of the Commission on Enhancing the Mission of the
Wisconsin Colleges, a group created to advise the network of 13 two-year
colleges in the state.The commission, appointed by the chancellor of the
University of Wisconsin Colleges in August, submitted a report
<http://www.uwex.uwc.edu/chancellor/reports/documents/CommissionFinalReport.
pdf>  late last month calling for an investment in new scholarships pegged
to residency requirements post-graduation. "If we can't lure people to our
state, smart, young people, let's give them education and then require them
to stay here a certain number of years," O'Connell said.

Continue: http://insidehighered.com/news/2007/01/04/scholarships

University of Wisconsin Colleges/The freshman/sophomore UW campuses

Living the Wisconsin Idea: Extending the UW Colleges' Liberal Arts Mission
to the Boundaries of the State and Beyond; Commission on Enhancing the
Mission of the UW Colleges-Summary Report (68-page pdf) link:

http://www.uwex.uwc.edu/chancellor/reports/documents/CommissionFinalReport.p
df

But the presidents from all seven public colleges and universities in
Indiana have signed on to Governor Daniels' proposal, writing in a
collective letter
<http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061217/OPINION01/61217
0367/-1/ARCHIVE>  to The Indianapolis Star

December 17, 2006

Our View

A jackpot for our students and our economy

<http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061217/OPINION01/61217
0367/-1/ARCHIVE#postacomment#postacomment>

As Hoosiers begin to debate the merits of Gov. Mitch Daniels' higher
education investment, the key question that must be addressed is "what will
be the long-term benefits for Hoosiers?"

We, the presidents of Indiana's seven public colleges and universities, have
considered this question. We are in agreement that this plan offers Indiana
an extraordinary chance to improve Hoosier wage and employment prospects for
years to come. We see this plan giving Indiana a leg up in the "Brain Game"
-- that is, the international competition to attract the best minds and the
best jobs to create a diverse and robust economy.

The governor estimates that a lottery franchise would bring in as much as $1
billion over 10 years. We welcome this innovative approach, especially given
that the prospects for creating this kind of revenue through other means are
not good in the current fiscal climate.

Continue:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061217/OPINION01/612170
367/-1/ARCHIVE

21st Century Scholars Program

The Twenty-first Century Scholars Program began in 1990 as Indiana's way of
raising the educational aspirations of low and moderate-income families. The
program aims to ensure that all Indiana families can afford a college
education for their children.

But first, students need to Step
<http://www.in.gov/ssaci/programs/21st/stepup.html>  Up to the Pledge.

Link to program: