Skip repetitive navigational links
Next (less recent) in topic | Previous (more recent) in topic
Next (less recent) by same author | Previous (more recent) by same author

Re: student (dis)satisfaction

Kathryn VanWagoner <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:10:50 -0700

text/plain

These kind of situations always remind me of the time my baby was in the
hospital and a resident or intern doctor erroneously decided we would be
going home that day.  He told the nurse to remove my baby's IV, then
later found out that he was wrong.  The IV had to be replaced.  Not a
fun thing for a 2 month old.  I had to remind myself that this
particular hospital (on a university campus) was a learning institution
and that it wasn't the end of the world.

In this kind of tutoring situation, I remind the student that we are at
a learning institution and that the tutor is also learning.  (I usually
share the story of my baby and it generally helps the complaining
student put his problem in perspective.)  I assure the student that I
will work closely with the tutor to clarify his/her misunderstandings.
I thank the student for his/her feedback because it is important that I
am made aware of such concerns.

It helps that we emphasize in the "message" we put out to the campus
that we are "guiding student learning" not giving answers.  We avoid
presenting ourselves as "experts" who always have the right answer.
That's not to say that we don't aim to always have the right answer. But
if we don't set ourselves on a very high pedestal, the fall is easier to
handle.

I do follow up with the tutor and verify the tutor's understanding of
concepts.

Kathy

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Math Lab Manager
Utah Valley State College
801-863-8411

ad-van-tage   n.  A factor conducive to success.

>>> "Robin Sakonyi" <[log in to unmask]> 1/31/2007 10:41 AM >>>
Hello, all.  I have a question regarding