Re: Networks and conformity

Loet Leydesdorff <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Jan 2007 21:14:49 +0100

text/plain

Dear Ryan,

We come from a different background. I have been fascinated with the
structure in aggregated journal-journal citation relations. These are large
networks with fine structures which are reproduced from year to year.
Stability is prevailing and change the exception. For example, I have tried
to measure areas of change using probabilistic entropy measures: where is
the network "hot"?

In other domains, there may also be more stability than one thinks if one
chooses a more abstract unit of analysis--or, perhaps better, a unit of
operation. If one looks at variation in relations, one cannot find the
patterns. Otherwise, we agree about the hypothetical nature of the various
measures for change, structure, and stability.

Best wishes,  Loet

Loet Leydesdorff
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-20- 525 3681
[log in to unmask] ; http://www.leydesdorff.net/