Re: Networks and conformity

Loet Leydesdorff <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:46:46 +0100

text/plain

Dear Emanuela,

Thank you for the correction. Other human beings are no contexts because of
the "double contingency" in interhuman relations (Parsons, Husserl).
Interaction provides the basis for intentional communication.

I fully agree with that. My intervention was directed against the Latourians
who no longer wish to make a difference between human and non-human
contexts. I agree that it is a bit off-track. However, it is relevant
because of the emphasis on selection as a deterministic mechanism at the
systems level, while variation (in relations) can be random.

With best wishes,  Loet