Birding February 28-March 4

David Laliberte <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Mar 2007 05:16:18 -0800

text/plain

FL Birders:

  I have determined that there are seven Screech-Owl territories or pairs in my neighborhood (Lakewood Estates / adjacent to Boyd Hill Nature Park).  This area is just a small portion of Lakewood Estates.  I did get some decent pix of these guys on the 28th of February.  On March 1st I heard my first of the year Chucks-Will-Widows in the neighborhood.  I had not really pursued either of these species until now.  Sunday, I ran up to Withlacootchee State Forest to do some birding.  Could not locate any Red-cockaded Woodpecker other then the nest trees that had white marks painted on them.   In route back to St. Pete via Brooksville I did get some pix of Eastern Bluebirds.  Also while in Brooksville I heard a very familiar bird song that I knew well in Colorado  the House Finch.  This is a new one for my FL bird list.  There were a couple of pairs of these guys.  The following links are for Screech-Owl, Eastern Bluebird & House Finch pix:

  http://new.photos.yahoo.com/dllbirder/photo/294928804262656303/0
  http://new.photos.yahoo.com/dllbirder/photo/294928804262665218/1
  http://new.photos.yahoo.com/dllbirder/photo/294928804262648088/2
  http://new.photos.yahoo.com/dllbirder/photo/294928804262665214/3