]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Home

FLORIDABIRDS-L  April 2007, Week 4

FLORIDABIRDS-L April 2007, Week 4

Ft. DeSoto Trip Report, April 20-22, Tropical Audubon Society

Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:48:38 EDT

text/plain

Ten birders joined Paul Bithorn and me this past weekend for the Tropical
Audubon van trip to Ft. DeSoto. Two additional birders, John Kellam and Jim
Healey, joined us along the way. It was a great group; we were treated to fantastic
weather and an unbelievable 176 birds! Over 100 species were seen on each of
the three days of the trip. Here are the highlights, followed by the trip
list:

Not knowing if Alligator Alley, closed on Thursday due to brush fires, would
be open on Friday, we headed to the west coast via Tamiami Trail. A couple of
stops in the stretch between Shark Valley and Big Cypress produced Snail Kite,
Purple Gallinule and Limpkin, plus various waders. Our first official stop
was at Babcock Webb Wildlife Management Area in Punta Gorda, where we found
Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Bachman's Sparrow, Brown-headed Nuthatch, Eastern
Bluebird, Sandhill Crane, Limpkin, Eastern Towhee and Pine Warbler. A pair of Crested
Caracara were seen flying along I-75 a few miles north of Babcock Webb. Our
next stop was Oscar Scherer State Park, south of Sarasota, where we added
Florida Scrub-Jay (many), Northern Bobwhite (calling from an exposed perch),
Eastern Screech-Owl, Red-headed Woodpecker (both heard only), Summer Tanager,
Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Hooded Warbler to our trip list.

We birded Ft. DeSoto late that afternoon, as well as Saturday morning and
late afternoon, plus Sunday morning. Winds were out of the northwest, shifting to
northeast later in the weekend, resulting in an abundance of migrants
throughout the park. By the time we departed on Sunday, we had tallied 24 species of
warblers in the park, but missed at least five species reported by others:
Magnolia, Blackburnian, Yellow-throated, Pine and Prothonotary. By far the rarest
that our group saw was a female Mourning Warbler, found Saturday morning in
an area known to locals as McLain's Hole (I'm not sure if the spelling is
correct), north of Arrowhead Picnic Area. This sighting was reported to other
birders, including Lyn Atherton, but apparently the warbler was not relocated,
probably due in part to the lousy directions I provided. Other warbler species
seen included Cerulean (near the fort, seen by us thanks to a tip by Carl
Edwards), Swainson's (Privit Trail, East Beach Woods), Blue-winged (four, including
three together in East Beach Woods), Chestnut-sided (two), Kentucky (so many, I
lost count!) and Hooded (everywhere).

Other migrants included Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Acadian
Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Gray-cheeked, Swainson's and Wood Thrush,
White-eyed, Blue-headed, Yellow-throated and Red-eyed Vireo, Summer and Scarlet
Tanager, Rose-breasted and Blue Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting (everywhere!), Bobolink and
Orchard and Baltimore Oriole. Raptors seen included Cooper's and Sharp-shinned
Hawk, Peregrine Falcon, and two Swallow-tailed Kites (over Billy's Seafood
Restaurant on Tierra Verde). The pond in Tierra Verde had Redheads, a female
Canvasback and Ruddy Duck, Spotted Sandpiper and Magnificent Frigatebird. Birds
seen at Ft DeSoto beaches included Common Loon, Northern Gannet, Reddish Egret,
Piping Plover, Whimbrel, Red Knot and Semipalmated Sandpiper.

Saturday after lunch, we visited Sawgrass Lake Park in St. Petersburg, where
Paul found another Cerulean Warbler, plus a Prothonotary Warbler. A
light-morph Short-tailed Hawk was seen overhead. On our way back to Miami on Sunday, we
stopped at the Celery Fields in Sarasota, where the good birds kept on coming.
The highlight was a White-rumped Sandpiper, spotted in the pond next to the
gazebo. Other birds tallied there included Black-bellied Whistling-Duck, Sora
(many), King Rail (heard only), Limpkin, Black-necked Stilt, Long-billed
Dowitcher and Chimney Swift.

Once again, I have to thank my co-leader, Paul Bithorn, for making this trip
such a blast. I know he wouldn't mind me saying that life is indeed good when
you're at Ft. DeSoto during the peak of spring migration! Here's the complete
trip list:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck
Muscovy Duck
Mottled Duck