Several significant changes have occurred with the VTS:
- It's no longer necessary to specify STORCLAS=TAPEV
when writing to the VTS with DISP=NEW.
- A new TSO command, VTSVOLS, is available that will
report on VTS tapes.
- Tape "cloning" is now available by request as a
The documentation has been updated for the above and:
- UNIT=AFF=ddname issues.
- Creating of VTS tapes has been clarified some.
- Where appropriate, the JCL examples were changed to
- A section on file stacking and tape utilization was
- A section on considerations for old or archive data
- A Closing thoughts section was added.
- Many small but significant changes throughout the
I'd like to suggest giving the entire document a re-read.
At this point it should be stated that the VTS is functionally complete.
The only known issues left to be resolved are administrative in nature.
- The final TSM backup cycles and retention periods.
- The billing algorithm. Though it is known that it will
be related to tape size and daily change activity.
- A conversion strategy for the CNS tape library.
So, I'd like to encourage those of you sitting on the shore to jump
in with at least a tape or two and test the waters.
Scott C Crumpton
Computer Systems Coordinator, Installation Security Manager
University of Florida Computing and Networking Services (UFCNS)
mailto:[log in to unmask] (352) 392-2061 PGP Key ID: 0xB7365250
Alternate email address: mailto:[log in to unmask]
September 2013, Week 4|
September 2013, Week 2
August 2012, Week 5
October 2011, Week 2
September 2011, Week 5
September 2011, Week 4
June 2011, Week 3
May 2011, Week 1
January 2009, Week 5
January 2009, Week 4
October 2008, Week 1
September 2008, Week 4
September 2008, Week 3
September 2008, Week 2
August 2008, Week 2
August 2008, Week 1
July 2008, Week 5
July 2008, Week 4
July 2008, Week 2
July 2008, Week 1
February 2008, Week 1
October 2007, Week 3
August 2007, Week 4
August 2007, Week 1
May 2007, Week 1
April 2007, Week 3
April 2007, Week 1
March 2007, Week 5
January 2007, Week 2