]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Home

FLORIDABIRDS-L  May 2007, Week 5

FLORIDABIRDS-L May 2007, Week 5

Re: [FlaBirding] East winds finally pay off

David Simpson <[log in to unmask]>

David Simpson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 May 2007 21:34:50 -0400

text/plain

Hi all,

I have been pretty busy with work lately, but I did manage to get
down to the south jetty at Fort Pierce Inlet after Andy called about
his success at Sebastian Inlet.  I spent about two hours scouring the
sea and talking to curious by-standers.  I did not see any storm-
petrels.  I did see several terns and gannets.  One area offshore
hosted an ever changing group of terns.  There were two Leasts at
first.  Then an adult Arctic and two Common terns came in.  Then a
Royal passed through.  For the next half hour or so, the flock
alternated between 0-3 Common terns and 1-8 Least terns.  A few
Sandwich terns and some more Royals cruised around the area off and
on.  After awhile the tern activity died down.  I checked behind me
on the beach and saw two first-summer Common terns feeding.  They
wandered their way out to sea as I observed.  I headed to Ft. Pierce
Inlet because I didn't need any of those birds for Indian River or
Brevard Counties.  Isn't county listing great?  Both the Common and
Arctic were new for in this county, so St. Lucie is now back ahead of
Martin by one.

Now back to work.

David Simpson
Fellsmere, FL