]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

WATERINSTITUTE-EXP-L Home

WATERINSTITUTE-EXP-L  July 2007

WATERINSTITUTE-EXP-L July 2007

Reminder and Update: 2008 Water Institute LBR

"Graham, Wendy D." <[log in to unmask]>

Graham, Wendy D.

Sun, 1 Jul 2007 18:19:50 -0400

Dear Department Chairs and Center Directors of Water Institute
Affiliated Faculty:

This is an update on the status of the 2007 Water Institute LBR and a
reminder regarding the 2008 LBR.  There is good news and bad news.

First the good news:

1)       We received $500K in non-recurring funds this year as a result
of our 2007-08 LBR.  We will use this funding to begin to build the
Water Systems Laboratory...interdisciplinary laboratory capabilities
hosted by existing departments and centers but available for use by all
Water Institute faculty.  We will purchase new equipment for an Emerging
Contaminants Labs hosted by Soil and Water Science, an Aquifer
Characterization facility hosted by Geological Sciences, a Dynamic
Environmental Control Test Facility hosted by Environmental Engineering
Sciences, and a Water Systems Synthesis Facility hosted by the Water
Institute.  Descriptions of these facilities (as envisioned for our
original $2.5M request) are attached.  We will make a modest beginning
toward these goals, and will keep you posted as new lab capabilities
come on-line.

2)       We received authorization to go ahead with our 2008-09 LBR

Now for the not as good news:

We are only authorized to put in a 2008-09 LBR for $1.5M in recurring
funds. Therefore we need to scale back the original proposal to 8
faculty positions instead of 10, and 5 staff positions instead of 12.
We should be able to use salary savings gained while filling these
positions to continue to build the Water Systems Collaboratory (albeit
slowly) and/or to help with start-up costs for the new faculty.

If you are interested in participating I still need from you by July
6th...

1)       A brief description of new water-related faculty positions that
a) you believe are important to building interdisciplinary water
research and education at UF, b) you are willing to have as tenure
accruing faculty in your department, and c) that you would like to have
considered for inclusion in this LBR.

(For more information about this request see email below... We'll get
back to you about the laboratory requests later)

So far I have heard from the following Departments and Centers:

1)       Botany

2)       Center for Women's Studies and Gender Research

3)       Environmental Engineering Sciences

4)       4-H

5)       Forest Resources and Conservation

6)       Ft. Lauderdale Research and Education Center

7)       Geological Sciences

8)       Tropical Research and Education Center

9)       Wildlife Ecology and Conservation

Thanks for your input... and Happy 4th of July!

Wendy