]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

RECMGMT-L Home

RECMGMT-L  July 2007, Week 3

RECMGMT-L July 2007, Week 3

Re: New Resource for Records Retention Guidelines

Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:04:19 -0700

text/plain

Peter will probably jump on me for keeping all of Jesse's posting in
here...

Jesse, collaboration is fine; I encourage it.  I participated fully in
the ARMA GRIP project some ten years ago.

For those on the list that may be new to RIM; or have little experience
in developing retention policy, here is a little dab of Retention Policy
Development 101.  Operational; Fiscal; Regulatory; Legal; Historic.
Those are the retention factors.  The retention for any record series
will be the longest of these researched and evaluated factors.

Retention policies have varying factors by organizational needs, and by
geographic requirements...; differing federal, state, and local
regulatory requirements.  A WIKI (if validated) or a Skupsky publication
can function for the "regulatory" factor and for PART of the "legal"
(statute of limitation) research.  That is true for Skupsky's
publications, or for anything Montana would publish.

However, each organization will have differing "operational", "fiscal",
and "historic" values.  These have to be individually researched and
appraised for each organization, and only the interview during the
inventory phase of the project will accomplish this.

Operational (or administrative) retention factor is reference need;
pure and simple; based on how long the record copy holder department of
an organization references that information to do their job.  These
differ for each organization, and no publication can define how long
your organization references their records.

Fiscal retention factor is the need a finance dept. or internal audit
dept needs the record copy holder department of an organization to
retain their records so that they can do their job.  As an example, the
int. audit dept. of the org. may need your dept to retain their ABC
System Data for 3 years to enable their audit schedule.  These differ
for each organization, and no publication can define how long your
organization references their records.

Historic is historic, and differs by organization.

If the organization that sponsored that wiki site affirmatively states
that the info collected and posted is for the regulatory and statute of
limitation factors only, then I have no problem with it.   That was not
the case.

Describing what I originally posted on this topic as spurious is simply
not accurate.  A little dab of contemptuous may be accurate  :>)

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 7/19/2007 10:59 AM >>>
First, maybe I'm missing something here, but how would this differ in
principle from the work done by e.g. Donald Skupsky at Information
Requirements Clearinghouse, Zasio, etc.? Steve is of course correct
that it
cannot take into account business-specific processes and requirements,
but
it didn't appear to be to claim to do that; indeed, its stated goal is
"Post
your contribution and help build the best source on records retention
guidelines." I don't think it's particularly useful in its current
form, but
with some work I could see it becoming an excellent resource to use as
starting point. Larry's point about not using it OOTB (out of the box)
is
correct as well - to a point.

What about the organization that decides, not through laziness, not
through
incompetence, but after careful consideration, that their business
requirements neatly match with stated federal, state, and local
regulatory
requirements? There's no requirement that there be a business need
longer
than a stated statutory requirement....and many governmental agencies
do
that *by definition*, correct? So put one of the RMs on the stand
whose
schedule is e.g. the Colorado Model Municipal Records Retention
Schedule
(http://www.colorado.gov/dpa/doit/archives/rm/MunicipalRMM/preface.htm).
Not
to put words into any of their mouths, but I'm pretty sure they'll be
fine.

Finally, I think Steve's assertion that something developed
collaboratively
(public collaboration) == "comic book" quality is simply spurious.
After
all, isn't that how just about every one of the ARMA standards is
developed?
Now, ARMA isn't using a wiki to do this...but a number of other
ANSI-accredited standards organizations are. How many people would go
out to
this narrowly focused resource simply to trash it - for example, to
change
all the retention dates to "30 days"? And if they did, wouldn't the
community a) change them back using reversion and b) act to ban such a
troll? Wikipedia does this today; the difference between this and
Wikipedia
is that the latter has 1.8 million articles and millions of
contributors;
this one would have perhaps thousands of citations and thousands of
contributors.

Again, structurally I would do it differently than this organization
is, but
there isn't anything INHERENTLY bad about the use of wikis or other
public
collaboration tools - or should we get rid of things like forums and
listservs, too, because there's no guarantee that anyone posting knows
anything or that they aren't using pseudonyms? And yet quite regularly
I'm
sure many of you take something from this list back to your
organization
because you found it useful.

On a very much related note, I strongly urge everyone on this list to
read:
Everything is Miscellaneous, David Weinberger
Wikinomics, Don Tapscott and Anthony Williams, my review of which will
be in
the next IMJ
Na*ed Conversations, Robert Scoble and Shel Israel

All of these address the notion that collaboration is inherently
unreliable
or suspect.

My .02 while I sift through the email survey responses,

Jesse Wilkins

the message.
mailto:[log in to unmask]