good ol' Humberto !

Harry Hooper <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:59:54 -0700

text/plain

Evening Floridabirders,

Thanks to that minimal hurricane that slammed into east Texas yesterday morning, then took a right turn, crossing Louisiana and Mississippi as a windy and wet low pressure system, my planned 2 nights of camping (tonight and Saturday night) at Three Rivers S.P. on the southwest shore of Lake Seminole got canned.  I had planned to kayak bird the west shore of Lake Seminole.  But with the prediction of stormy weather and strong southerly winds, plans changed.

I found myself at the twin bridges in St. Marks NWR around 7:30 this morning, hoping that the rains would not arrive till the afternoon.  The swamp and shrub marsh were very quiet.  Only 3 birds let themselves be known, a red-shouldered hawk, a male northern cardinal and a white-eyed vireo.  So after over a half hour attempting to entice some avian response, I moved on down to the pine flatwoods north of the East River Pool to locate a few brown-headed nuthatches.  And except for a male red-bellied woodpecker, a male common yellowthroat bouncing around in the saw palmetto (a little out of place), and a calling morning dove, these woods were also quite still.  No nuthatches.  Birds picked up a little at the boat ramp at East River Pool.  The 2 immature reddish egrets were having a spat, one basically harassing the other until a complaining great egret flew in to break up the dispute.

Parking at the north end of the dike that borders the west side of Stoney Bayou Pool #1, I started out to check on the shorebirds as a hunting female northern harrier worked the tall grasses.  Walking the dike, shorebirds appeared to be widely scattered and most were too far out to ID, plus looking into the sun didn't help!   Shorebirds close enough to ID were primarily yellowlegs and willets.  I did pick up a stilt sandpiper a little ways down the dike.  A lone white pelican had settled far out on the pool.  As I scanned the south end of the pool, a lone rosette spoonbill was feeding amongst 17 wood storks.  Patches of 20 to 40 blue-winged teal, all females and/or immatures were in the canal paralleling the west side of the dike.  Reaching the north end of Mounds Pool #3, scanning the horizon of this currently very dry pool was not productive.  Though willets, greater and lesser yellowlegs, and blue-winged teal along with some semipalmated sandpipers were busy feeding and
 preening in the parallel canals.  As I headed toward the "T" dike, an immature northern harrier appeared as it balanced in the "beginning to get stronger" winds out over the marsh.

The find of the day though was during the long walk back on the refuge road from the "T" dike.  The woods on the west side of the road became active with several pine warblers.  As I scanned these little bundles of energy, one flew into a pine tree next to the road.  And right next to it, 15 to 18 feet up, was a Louisiana waterthrush.  To my thinking, totally out of place.  And according to the refuge bird list, rare in spring and fall, and not present during the rest of the year.

Walking the trail out to Tower Pond, the mosquitoes and yellow flies were quite abundant and also feeding if they could get through the deet that I applied earlier.  And some were successful.  Tower Pond produced 7 marbled godwits and approximately 150 blue-winged teal with small groups still flying in. Tri-coloreds and a couple of snowys were also quietly watching the teal and godwits feed in the shallows.  By now the rain and thunderstorms were brewing out over the bay and to the west.  Time to move on to the lighthouse.

The majority of Lighthouse Pool was quiet with widely scattered willets, both yellowlegs and a  few dowitchers.  A small mixed flock of birds was resting on the west side of the pool.  So with heavy rains approaching, I took the chance to walk to the west side dike by the boat channel to find mainly willets with a few royal terns, scattered forester's terns, at least 8 or more common terns and some black skimmers.  Didn't really have a chance to study this group of resting birds with the increasing winds and imminent onslaught of the rains.  The oystercatchers and ruddy turnstones that were present the weekend before were not to be found.

With the squall approaching fast,  I headed back to my vehicle.  But I chanced one last look, this time, the east flats from the elevated platform next to the lighthouse.  These flats were covered with laughing gulls, terns and skimmers. But by now, winds blowing at 20 to 25 knots and the rains pelting down, the birding was over, or so I thought.  As I was leaving the lighthouse, another immature northern harrier, or maybe the one I saw several miles back on the trails, settled into a break in the grasses of Lighthouse Pool, trying to avoid the brisk windy weather.  Multitudes of terns arose and appeared to enjoy an aerial shower.  Heading north,  headquarters Pond that only had a single great egret earlier produced 32 snowys, tightly settled on the mudflat all facing into the wind and rain. And on the southeast corner of East River Pool, I counted 133 snowys, again hunkered down out of the wind with several tri-colored herons and 1st year white ibis, a great blue heron, a
 great egret, plus 11 blue-winged teal.  I find it interesting that nasty weather brings together all these waders, especially the snowys.

Species observed:

* Wood Duck:  12 - 1 male and 11 female (East River Pool)
* Blue-winged Teal:  277 female/immature.  Some may be duplicates since these
                             birds were skittish and moved around quite a bit.
* American White Pelican: 1 on Stoney Bayou Pool #1.
* Double-crested Cormorant: 19, mainly down by the lighthouse.
* Great Blue Heron: 2
* Great Egret: 12
* Snowy Egret: 176
* Little Blue Heron" 4, all adults.
* Tri-colored Heron: 28; 23 adults, 5 immatures.
* Reddish Egret: 2 immatures.
* Cattle Egret:: 3
* White Ibis: 42; Adult 29, 1st year 13.
* Glossy Ibis: 10
* Rosette Spoonbill: 1 on the south end of Stoney bayou Pool #1.
* Wood Stork: 17 on the south end of Stoney bayou Pool #1.
* Turkey Vulture: 6.
* Osprey: 2
* Northern Harrier: 2 or possibly 3; 1 female, 1or 2 immature.
* Red-shouldered Hawk: 2
* Common Moorhen: 8.
* Black-bellied Plover: 4.
* Semipalmated Plover: 1.
* Killdeer: 2.
* Black-necked Stilt: 2.
* Greater Yellowlegs: 16
* Lesser Yellowlegs: 8.
* Willet: 80 +.
* Spotted Sandpiper: 2.
* Marbled Godwit: 7 in Tower Pool.
* Semipalmated Sandpiper: 5.
* Stilt Sandpiper: 1.
* Dowitcher (presumed Short-billed): 11.
* Laughing Gull: 23.
* Royal Tern: 6.
* Common Tern: 8+.
* Forster's Tern: 15+
* Black Skimmer: 27.
* Eurasian Collared-dove: 1 calling at lighthouse.
* Mourning Dove: 4; 3 adults, 1 immature.
* Belted Kingfisher: 3; 1 male, 2? just would not turn around.
* Downy Woodpecker: 1; lighthouse dike trail.
* White_eyed Vireo: 1 heard at bridges.
* Northern Mockingbird: 1.
* Yellow Warbler: 4.
* Pine Warbler: 5+
* Louisiana Waterthrush: 1 15 feet up in pine next to refuge road.
* Common Yellowthroat: 2; male and female.
* Northern Cardinal: 3; 2 male, 1 female.
* Red-winged Blackbird: 6; 5 male, 1 female all at East River Pool.
* Boat-tailed Grackle: 9; all males.

Enjoy the weekend,

Harry Hooper
Tallahassee, Florida