]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  November 2007

SOCNET November 2007

Re: Organizations Devoted to Social Networks

Jan Hauser <[log in to unmask]>

Jan Hauser <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Nov 2007 11:45:27 -0800

text/plain

Hi George,

I have been "dedicated" to the goal for the last 7-8 years.  I have
privately published privately funded research of architecture and technology
studies (77 pages).

There is also a public "vision piece" and project proposal which I designed
and coauthored--

See:

The Augmented Social Network (ASN): Building identity and trust into the
next-generation Internet
by Ken Jordan, Jan Hauser, and Steven Foster

Could the next generation of online communications strengthen...

http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue8_8/jordan/index.html

And also near the end of this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_network

This ASN goal is rather audacious. It seek to created a standards-based,
open, FULL FEATURED social system, thus, today's internet evolves to have
discovery, introduction, and social functions as a inherent property of the
net itself, NOT a social site, portal, company etc.

There is a group of folk's that have gravitated to this general vision with
a focus of Identity at the anchor of their vision focused on "user
controlled", persistent, online/electronic identity.

We call ourselves "The Identity Gang":

http://identitygang.org/

This gang somewhat complements the goal of The Identity Commons:

http://wiki.idcommons.net/

There are several evolving Identity Systems with the same ~general~ goal
that are competition in this space BUT much work is being put into make
these systems either meld together or made interoperable.

One of the "best", meaning most pure and comprehensive (and also complex),
is a systems know as i-names AKA XRI/XDI:

http://www.windley.com/archives/2005/12/xris_xdis_and_i.shtml

http://www.xdi.org/xri-and-xdi-explained.html

This work followed the vision of the ASN white paper, please see:

http://journal.planetwork.net/article.php?lab=reed0704&page=1

Soon (December) you can get the latest on progress in the area by attending
the latest Internet Identity Workshop (IIW)

http://www.windley.com/events/iiw2007b/

Attendance has been expanding VERY rapidly from about 20-30 for the first
workshop to 200+ for the next one.

I make a bit of a living in this area as a sort-of expert consultant. If you
what to get the bigger picture of what is going on, particularly with
Google's "Open Social" announcement vs. Face book please feel free to give
me call.

Just to put a fine point on all this---

Today's identity systems fall way-short of what is needed for the ASN
vision.
	1) Identity is dependent on a single central authority that "owns"
the 		    individuals identity.
	2) They do not include selective ( user controlled) data sharing of
extended 	    identity profiles or attributes.
	3) There is no inherent feature of "matching" of shared affinities
or
	    complementary capabilities.

So here is a brief overview of my interest and dedication.

More is available.

Cheers!  - Jan 408 483-1967  PST time zone