Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Clay-colored Sparrow in Tallahassee
From: Robert Lengacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Nov 2007 20:10:02 -0400

I have been absolutely horrible about posting sightings from my rare forays
into the field. The highlight of the fall was the fallout on St. George
Island when I got to meet Michael Hartley; it was good birding and good
company. Between us we spotted 14 warblers, the highlight of which was the
Blackpoll.

This afternoon was the best bird of the fall, a Clay-colored Sparrow on our
tray feeder. This is a new yardbird and my first Clay-colored in Leon County
in over 5 years. It is amazing how different birds seem when you take the
time to really study the more familiar species. I called the bird before I
ever got bins on it, but then I was rewarded with great views. The
supercilium behind the eye seemed to widen toward the crown giving the bird
a much bolder and meaner look than Chippies. The color scheme, obvious
facial pattern, light colored bill, pale lores, and even the posture made
this bird seem completely unlike a Chipping Sparrow.

I will try to put together a better summary of my fall sightings when I get
more than 10 minutes on the computer for pleasure. Until then, keep looking
up and keep studying those familiar species.

Rob Lengacher
Tallahassee, FL