Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Re: [FlaBirding] Re: comparing purple galllinules and swamphens
From: Vincent Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 2 Nov 2007 17:30:56 -0400

Dotty et al. . . .

At STA-5, south of Clewiston in Hendry County, virtually EVERY Purple
Gallinule we see there (and we saw dozens and dozens of them a few
weeks back on our last tour), feed on these Alligator Flag flowers.
They must have be an incredible energy source for these birds as they
almost exclusively feed on them. . . . The PUGAs can do some amazing
acrobatics to get at these flowers as you know. . . . On the other
hand, we've never seen any Purple Swamphens at STA-5 feeding on the
Alligator Flag flowers.

Cheers.

Vince

Vincent Lucas