Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Chippin' Around
From: Andy Bankert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 3 Nov 2007 22:10:22 -0400

With some good recent reports, I headed down to Miami to chase year birds.  On Friday I had more difficulty finding Cutler Wetlands and the EURASIAN WIGEON pond than I did looking at the wigeon through Larry Manfredi's scope.  Also in the area were Northern Pintail, American Wigeon, Blue and Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, and Northern Shovler.  Just south of 232nd is a wastewater treatment plant, but I do not know much the access situation.  While I was looking at two FRANKLIN'S GULLS from 97th Ave just south of 232nd St, a security guard told me that the management could call the cops on weekdays.  I do not know what this means about weekends, but the birds were not seen today.

Lucky Hammock and the annex were very birdy this morning with numerous Magnolia Warblers, a few Northern Parulas, Prairie Warblers, and single Black-throated Blue, Black-and-white, American Redstart, Northern Waterthrush, and Yellow-breasted Chat.  A Baltimore Oriole and vocal Least Flycatcher were seen at the annex, but the best bird was a WILLOW FLYCATCHER that called briefly on the dirt path across from Lucky Hammock.

The park was rather slow for birding with Short-tailed Hawk and Cave Swallow as the biggest highlights.  On the way home I checked up on the wigeon and briefly saw it fly when a harrier flushed a flock of ducks.  I could not find the Laughing Gull flock that held the Franklin's yesterday.  A quick stop by Kendall Indian Hammock did not have any birds other than a few gnatcatchers, a parula, and a Black-and-white Warbler.

Andy Bankert
Melbourne Beach, FL