Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Return of the Duck! 11/4/07
From: "Thomas J. Dunkerton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Nov 2007 18:34:10 EST

Hey Everybirdy,

  No, I'm not implying the return of an actual duck, just an ol'
woundedmallard, much to the chagrin of some, I'm sure!  Ha-ha  ;-)

  Parrish Park held the biggest shorebird flock of the day with  some 20+
Short-billed Dowitchers and a lone Dunlin along with the usual begging
Turnstones.

  A quick pass through Blackpoint and Biolab today just to get my  juices
flowing.  Nothing extraordinary.
  An Eastern Phoebe hanging out near stop 9.  I stopped to  photograph it for
the heck of it and could swear I heard a Sedge Wren chattering  along that
overgrown dike just passed the Cruickshank parking lot  entrance.  A fly by
juvenile Bald Eagle was nice.
  Did spot a small mixed flock of peeps along Biolab that included  mostly
Dunlin and Sanderlings with a couple of Least and one Western  Sandpiper.
  Headed to the beach and stopped #8 pullover for a look at the  Scoters, all
of which are on the south side now and pretty much stayed to the  back.  12
Scoters in all today, 8 Black's (one male), and 4  Surf's  looking like
juveniles.  As I watched them they always seemed to keep  somewhat separated.  They
would seemingly all dive at once, and upon  surfacing together they
consistently separated species.
  Also had a Rough-winged Swallow among  4 or 5 Barn's that  were working the
area.

  On the Seashore all was fairly quiet.  A Royal Tern with  fish being
harrassed by a Laughing Gull, individual Ruddy Turnstones,  Sanderlings and
Black-bellied Plovers intermittently passing by.
  Headed out, pulled over to join Bob Sanders and friend Becky for  a nice
look at a pair of Bald Eagles basking in the setting sun on the old radio  tower
along SR 402.

  See you out there!

Tom Dunkerton
Titusville, FL

p.s.-  Tons of Sparrows (Chipping, White-crowned, White-throated  and a few
Vespers) from my Kentucky/Tennessee trip, asked me to send their  regards!  :-)