Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Re: Union County Loon(z)
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Nov 2007 00:06:32 +0000

And now to muddy the water...

After posting my previous message this afternoon I decided to do some
birding and I figured Palestine Lake was as good a place as any to
start. I immediately located two loons out from the boat ramp. They
were at a slightly better angle than yesterday and one was easily
identified as a Red-throated. I didn't get much of a look at the second
bird but it was darker and seemed to have more brown on the head and
face and to have a more rounded head. It also did not adopt the bill-up
attitude of the Red-throated. Unfortunately it quickly tucked it's head
into it's back and went to sleep. The two birds were together and
drifting north and after about 20 minutes the bird didn't raise it's
head again so I gave up.

At Ocean Pond I found a flock of 23 Lesser Scaup plus 8 Ruddy Ducks
and a second flock of 14 Redheads a couple hundred yards away. There
was also a small flock of Coots. The Ruddys and Redheads were both new
county birds for me.

Bob Richter
Baker County