Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Eurasian Wigeon, Bobolink @ Lennar Flow-way & Lucky Hammock
From: Paul Bithorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 4 Nov 2007 19:16:46 -0500

Headed out to the Cutler Wetlands and Lennar Flow-way this morning on a picture perfect day in search of those magnificent flying machines. I would not be dissappointed. A dark Short-tailed Hawk and Roseate Spoonbills greeted me at the Wetlands.

At the Lennar site I ran into Bonnie Ponwith and others, who immediately put me on the Eurasian Wigeon, a county bird,yearbird and beerbird. A Northern Pintail drake, American Wigeon, Northern Shoveler, Blue-winged Teal and Mottled Ducks were also present. Bonnie had a Green-winged Teal drake earlier. Bald Eagle, Herring, Ring-billed and Laughing Gull along with a Cave Swallow were also seen in the area.

We headed to Lucky Hammock and ran into John Kellam. We spotted Grasshopper Sparrow and Savannah Sparrow, Bobolink,Painted Buntings and a light Short-tailed Hawk along with Rough-winged, Barn and Tree Swallows.

The Annex was quiet, but we found two Western Kingbirds (FOS) sallying for insects.We could not drum up the recently seen Willow Flycatcher or Bell's Vireo, despite a thorough search of both areas.Cooper's, Sharp-shinned and Red-shouldered Hawk along with Northern Harrier, Peregrine Falcon, American Kestrel and Osprey rounded out a nice raptor day. Life is good...............
Paul Bithorn
Virginia Gardens, Florida
Miami-Dade County