Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Nelson's and Saltmarsh Sharptails MINWR
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Mon, 5 Nov 2007 22:40:20 +0000

Hi Everybody,

  This morning I and Carl Edwards went to Shiloh marsh to check on the Sharptails. We found both the Nelson's and the Saltmarsh. We saw them until about 9:30 or 10:00 A.M. and then they disappeared! We went back later in the day and still no Sharptails. This morning there were approximately 6 or 7 of them.
  When looking for the Sharptails try to stay on the trails already created in the marsh by the fisherman. The Sharptails like to feed on the brownish reeds at the river's edge, and they use the pepper grass (Salacornia) to hide in. Try not to disturb this grass. Once it's stomped down the Sharptails will leave, because their cover has been disturb. If you see one, just watch where he goes, move slowly toward the area following the trails, stop, wait 2 to 3 minutes, and psh. He'll pop up to look at you, and you can get good looks at him.
  We also saw the Black Scooters, and the Surf Scooters at the the last parking area on beach road before the south turn. They were on the south side of the road. Pretty far out there. An Eagle was trying to get one of them, but was not successful. They kept diving, and the Eagle finally gave up.

Good Birding,
Danny Bales
Titusville, Fla.