Everglades National Park 11/29-12/1

Bryant Roberts <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 2 Dec 2007 22:43:56 -0500

text/plain

Some of the more interesting birds seen during a visit late last week to
Everglades National Park were:  White-tailed Kite, Barn Owl, Lesser
Nighthawk, Western Kingbird, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, American Goldfinch,
Yellow Warbler, Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow, Saltmarsh Sharp-tailed
Sparrow, and Bronze Cowbird.  Another highlight of the trip was finding a
family of baby Crocodiles complete with nest and mom.

I got off to a late start Thursday (11/29) and didn't get to the Lucky
Hammock area until late morning where the only interesting bird seen was a
Magnolia Warbler.  A run down Research Road turned up a couple of
White-tailed Kites hunting between the large mounds southwest of the
research facilities.  American and Least Bittern, and Purple Gallinule were
found at Anhinga Trail, and Black-throated Green and Black-throated Blue
Warblers, and Hermit Thrush were the best birds seen at Royal Palm Hammock.

My only stops on the way to Flamingo were at Paurotis Pond and West Lake
where little of interest was seen.  At Flamingo a couple of female Bronze
Cowbirds and a female Brown-headed Cowbird were working the marina parking
lot.  There wasn't much activity besides a few Black-necked Stilts and
Blue-winged Teal on Eco Pond but after sunset a couple of Barn Owls began
hunting earlier than usual around the perimeter trail giving much better
than usual views.  Later that evening Barred Owls called from the pond area
as I enjoyed great views of Comet Holmes which was clearly visible to the
naked eye in the constellation Perseus.

Friday morning I started at around sunrise at Eco Pond where a nice mix of
warblers including a Yellow Warbler were feeding in the Strangler Figs and a
flock of ten American Goldfinches were feeding in the Buttonwoods.  I heard
Goldfinches several more times during my visit to Flamingo.  My main birding
project that day was a walk down Bear Lake Trail where a Yellow-throated
Vireo and fourteen species of warblers made it worth the walk but there was
an unexpected surprise near the end.  At the point where the view of Bear
Lake first opens up to the south I was puzzled by a mound of disturbed
roadbed  several feet in diameter with depression in the middle.  Almost
immediately I heard soft splashing along the canal bank caused by what I
soon realized were baby crocodiles not much more than a foot long, what I
had come upon was almost certainly their old nest.  After continuing to the
end of the trail I returned to the nest with my camera ready hoping for a
shot but the babies took to the water as I approached and as I neared the
bank the head of what must have been the momma croc sank beneath the dark
murky water inches from the canal bank.  One of the babies surfaced close
enough to the bank for me to get a couple of pictures before I realized that
in my excitement I'd forgotten that I was standing only a couple of feet
from where I last saw momma.  Fortunately, she stayed submerged and I
stepped back a few feet and took a couple of shots of the nest then left the
area.

That afternoon back at Flamingo the first of several Short-tailed Hawks of
the weekend was seen along with a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and a Western
Kingbird north of the road at the western end of the visitor center parking
lot. After sunset a Barn Owl made several circuits around the coastal
prairie north of B and C Loops in the closed part of the campground and at
about 5:45 five Lesser Nighthawks appeared high over the tree line west of C
Loop.

My Saturday morning project was a stroll down the Coastal Prairie Trail, the
existence of which debatable.  I took a detour along the Bayshore Loop and
cut back through the old Cotton Pickers Camp which was a sparrow hot spot
last winter but didn't scare up anything more interesting than a few Indigo
Buntings.  From there I headed northwest crossing the "Trail" into the
traditional sparrow fields which took the brunt of the Hurricane Wilma storm
surge and are slowly recovering.  Little was seen in this area besides
Common Yellowthroats and Savannah Sparrows but my first Peregrine Falcon of
the trip made this part of the trek worthwhile.  Working westward I finally
reached the area where Toe found Sharp-tailed Sparrows last week and was
able to find two Nelson's and three Salt Marsh Sharp-tailed Sparrows along
with a Marsh Wren.  The flush and chase technique of seeing sparrows is a
lousy system at best and totally insane in knee high Pickleweed (AKA
Saltwort or Batis maritima) which is where the Sharp-tailed Sparrows like to
hang out on Cape Sable.  Fortunately these sparrows are curious birds and
will hop up to see what's coming into there area and will also often hop up
the ground and running you don't have a chance.

After breaking camp and checking the sandbar off the Visitor Center where
the most unusual bird was a Lesser Black-backed Gull I took an unusually
unproductive walk down Snake Bight Road.  A crew was finishing up the job of
clearing and mowing the road which may have contributed to the absence of
birds along the road and the tide was very low at the end and there was
little to see there.  The up side is that the road is in the best shape that
I've seen it in years and would be an easy bike ride to the end.

My only stop on the way out of the park was at the Long Pine Key Picnic Area
to see Pine Warblers and bring my weekend warbler total for the park to
seventeen species.  Once out of the park I stopped after sunset at Lucky
Hammock just in time to see six Lesser Nighthawks over the west tree line
then work closer to the road.  As it grew darker a Whip-poor-will started
giving "whip" notes from the hammock and appeared a few times flying near
the hammock as a Nighthawk made passes over the nearby fields.

Here are a few general observations.  While there were Catbirds around, they
were nowhere near as abundant as in recent years.  Buntings were also
unusually scarce; I saw no Painted Buntings anywhere and only a few Indigo
Buntings in one location.  The Goldfinches seemed a bit early, especially
since I haven't seen any reports from further north, but they really seem to
like Buttonwood seeds and there are plenty of them around Flamingo.  While
there were plenty of Kestrels and Red-shouldered Hawks, and a few
Short-tailed Hawks around and I saw a couple of Peregrine Falcons I saw no
Accipiters or Merlins in the Flamingo area.  On Saturday, despite a
northeast wind there was a noticeable west to east flight of what I'm pretty
sure were Great Pondhawk (Erythemis vesiculosa) dragonflies.  I've seen this
in past years and it has been a bit of a mystery because these dragonflies
don't range much north of South Florida and wouldn't seem likely to be a
migratory species.  There were a few mosquitoes, biting flies, and sandflies
around but not enough of any to be more than a minor annoyance.

Bryant Roberts

Davie, Florida