]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  January 2008

SOCNET January 2008

Re: Tom Hodgkinson's op-ed in The Guardian on Facebook

Paul Burton <[log in to unmask]>

Paul Burton <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:44:47 -0600

text/plain

Scott: good points.  Indeed, virtual communication is different and has inherent advantages.  Regarding the link between obesity and video gaming, I've seen mixed reviews. Of course we have another twist with the advent of the Wii, requiring physical movement. I have heard the Wii has been well-received in nursing homes, for example, encouraging physical activity with the elderly.

The "F as in Fat" report from the Data Resource Center on Child and Adolescent Health painted a grim picture linking gaming to obesity:
http://www.pcw.co.uk/vnunet/news/2197996/video-gaming-linked-childhood

But another study claiming gaming can actually reduce obesity:
http://techdigest.tv/2007/08/video_gaming_he.html

Interesting study finding a link beteen gaming, television watching, and gender:

Atherton, Martin J., and Metcalf, James A. (2006). "Does Gender Modify the Impact of Video Game Playing and Television Watching on Adolescent Obesity?" American Journal of Health Studies, 21(1/2).

The objective of this study is to quantify the strength of association between selected behavioral and demographic factors and the risk of obesity among adolescents. Females reporting 5 or more hours of video/computer game playing were at significant risk for elevated BMI. Among males, significant risk (p<0.05) of elevated BMI was observed at 2 hours per typical school day and above. We controlled for both diet (intake) and exercise (expenditure) and still observed significant associations between elevated BMI and video gaming playing among females, and television watching among males. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
Paul Burton, [log in to unmask]