Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: No Parasitic Jaeger at Sunshine bridge but Great Black-backed Gull instead
From: David Laliberte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 19 Jan 2008 21:13:01 -0800

  Hi all:

  There had been a report of a Parasitic Jaeger near the rest area on the north side approach to the Sunshine Skyway Bridge a day or so back.  This would have been a new one for me but it was not to be had. I birded or rather photo-birded this area today, 011908 at 1345-1442.  Some of the stuff that I photographed included a ratty looking Red-shouldered Hawk, Tri-colored Heron, Cattle Egret, Snowy Egret, Red-breasted Merganser and a Great Black-backed Gull.  Other birds observed but not photographed included Brown Pelican, White Pelican, American Oystercatcher, Great Egret, Rock Pigeon, and various gulls & terns.  This gull was the most interesting of all my finds.  Last fall there had been reports of GBBG in this area but all I managed to net at the time was a Lesser Black-backed Gull.  Actually I suspected that today’s bird was GBBG but it wasn’t until I got home and looked at the thing on the computer that I concluded that it was indeed GBBG.

  Included here are the links to my pix:

  CAEG=IMG_5528pt
  http://flickr.com/photos/73886194@N00/2204806829/
  GBBG=IMG_5730pt