Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Indep. Study for Probation Students

"Nelson, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:33:37 -0600

text/plain

This is very timely, as I'm working on a similar idea. We are also in
the situation of not having anything in place for those students who
find themselves on probation their second semester. We do have a course
called Applied Academic Strategies that allows us to work individually
with a student using a customized approach that targets each student's
particular issues. I've found that so many continue to have problems
with time management and procrastination, in particular. I'm working
with just a few students this semester to see how it works, and would be
very interested in seeing what you come up with.

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Travis Ramage
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 10:18 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Indep. Study for Probation Students

Dear All,

At Aurora University, we are exploring the idea of offering an
Independent Study for probationary students during spring semester
beginning Spring 2009.  We currently do not have any intervention in
place for students who find themselves on probation.  We only have a
program for conditionally admitted students in the fall, *STAR
*(*S*trategies *T*argeted for *A*cademic* R*ewards), which involves a
special multi-day summer orientation for these students and beginning
this fall, I will be adding a mandatory, 1 credit First Year Seminar to
program that will meet once week for the entire semester.  The course
will be structured around OnCourse.  I plan on attending OnCourse
Workshop II this August.

Here is some background...

At my previous institution, University of Wisconsin-Barron County, I
offered a study skills course during the first five weeks of spring
semester that all students on probation were "required" to take.  While
we "required" the course, not everyone took it given time conflicts
and/or their choice not to take the course for whatever reason.  The
course was offered as one (1) non-degree credit.  There were also
students in the course who were conditionally admitted the previous
semester and had already taken a First Year Seminar (offered for two (2)

degree credits) with me the previous semester as a condition of their
admittance, which had similar content to the study skills course in
spring.  Basically, both courses used OnCourse and covered basic study
strategies, with the five week course being a little more intrusive.

To reduce the redundancy of potentially having students take two courses

with similar content, we are exploring the idea of having students
complete an Independent Study with me during spring semester, where they

would earn one (1) degree credit for a letter grade.  I am going to
pilot some of my ideas with the *STAR *students this semester.  As I
begin to think about developing this Independent Study format for spring

2009, I wanted to poll the list to see if any other institutions are
doing something similar with their probationary students.

As my supervisor and I were discussing this independent study idea
yesterday, we were thinking the format would be a more intrusive
advising approach, students would receive more individualized attention,

and they hopefully would not see themselves as negatively if they were
meeting with me one-on-one rather than in a classroom of their peers,
especially if they are a STAR student and already had a class with me
the previous fall.  I would be able to work with the student to
customize a academic action plan that would work for them and they would

schedule regular individual appointments with me to follow-up on their
plan.

So...I would appreciate any comments, feedback, or suggestions you may
have on developing an Independent Study course for Probation students.

*Travis Ramage (NCLCA Professional Development Officer)*

*Academic Advisor*

*The Crouse Center for Student Success*

*Aurora** University***

*347 S. Gladstone Avenue***

*Aurora**, IL  60506***

*Office: (603) 844-6870 (to schedule an appointment) *

*Direct: (630) 844-5141*

*Fax: (630) 844-7813*

*E-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>*

*Website: www.aurora.edu <http://www.aurora.edu/>*

browser to

November 2020
October 2020