]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

BEST-L Home

BEST-L  March 2008

BEST-L March 2008

Re: Going Biodiesel Is No Cheap Alternative

Melissa Meehan <[log in to unmask]>

Melissa Meehan <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:16:44 -0400

text/plain

I'm with you Dr. Wilkie.
Fossil fuel is fossil thinking
Thanks for coining such a great phrase!

Unfortunately, the Florida Legislature is slow to understand this concept.
Budget cuts have created immense fears of the "cost" of renewables and the
"cost" of green building.   You and I know these fears are shortsighted.

Just today Senator Mike Fasano actually voted AGAINST the Senate Energy bill
because he was afraid of the cost of renewables, efficiency, and green
building; this is a terrible sign.   The Senate version of the Energy Bill
(SB 1544) has many excellent provisions to promote a low carbon economy (it
also has some bad stuff to fast-track new expensive power plants).

Please write a letter to the editor TODAY, and call upon the Florida
Legislature to be bold and think about Florida's long-term future. The
Florida legislature  must act now to prepare for the coming Federal
legislation (cap & trade), which will change everything. The transition away
from a fossil fuel economy will be challenging, but it is absolutely
necessary.  If Florida is smart, we will position ourselves to be a leader
in the low carbon economy and we will be prepared for the Federal cap &
trade bill, which is coming sooner than anyone thinks.

The Florida legislature will only act upon this issue if they feel a great
public mandate to do so.  We MUST keep up the pressure.  Budget cuts are
working against the clean energy revolution, and we cannot allow our
lawmakers to trip over dollar bills to pick up pennies.

Sincerely
Melissa Meehan

On 3/27/08 11:47 PM, "Dr. Ann C. Wilkie" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> BESTers,
>
> "Fossil fuel is fossil thinking" and in this we are unanimous?
>
> __________________________________
>
> Harald W. Kegelmann wrote:
>
>> What most people in this country refuse to accept is that we can't
>> grow ourselves out of the coming shortage of oil supply. The problem
>> is not the cost of biodiesel production. Once oil hits $200/barrel
>> this problem will take care of itself.
>>
>> We simply can't get from here to there without a significant, and I
>> mean SIGNIFICANT change in life style.
>>
>> In Florida, we consume about 8 BILLION gallons of gasoline. Research
>> at IFAS shows that theoretically, we have enough biomass in the state
>> to generate 8 billion gallons of cellulosic ethanol a year. Well, for
>> years, the largest biodiesel plant in the state had a capacity of 20
>> million gallons/year (mg/y). We would need 400 plants of that size to
>> get to 8 billion. Permitting and construction would take about 18
>> month. So we are talking about 600 years in construction time.
>>
>> The largest COMMERCIAL cellulosic ethanol plant based on Dr. Ingram's
>> technology has a capacity of 300,000 gallons a year or 1.5 percent of
>> a 20 mg/y plant.
>>
>> No technology can replace an energy source and there simply is no
>> energy source like oil. We can't get from here to there with any type
>> of fossil fuel or biofuel. The numbers just don't add up. The sun is
>> the only energy source that will be around for a while. The sooner we
>> get that and switch to a solar based economy the better. There will be
>> winners and losers as the supply of oil dries out.
>>
>> Germany plans to install 1,000 more solar power this year than the
>> installed capacity of solar in the "Sunshine State." Abu Dhabi plans
>> to invest $15 BILLION to establish a renewable energy economy:
>>
>> http://www.photon-magazine.com/news_archiv/details.aspx?cat=News_PI&sub=afric
>> a&pub=4&parent=954
>>
>> What happened to the pony express and the mainframe will happen to
>> those how try desperately to hang on to the old ways of the fossil
>> fuel century.
>>
>>    Harry
>>

>>> If diesel from petroleum oil is expensive, biodiesel from soybean oil is
>>> almost ludicrous.  Rising costs of farm operations along with a decreased
>>> supply and increased demand are keeping biodiesel prices sky high and
>>> preventing it from becoming a widely applied alternative fuel.
>>>
>>> A biodiesel feedstock that is not tied to petroleum consumption seems to be
>>> the most logical.
>>> Algae- powered by the sun, nutrient-rich wastewater, and carbon dioxide-
>>> could be applied in the production of such a feedstock.
>>>
>>> -Scott J.E.
>>>

>>> http://www.usnews.com/blogs/beyond-the-barrel/2008/03/25/going-biodiesel-is-
>>> no-cheap-alternative.html
>>> Going Biodiesel Is No Cheap Alternative March 25, 2008 03:28 PM ET |
>>> Marianne
>>> Lavelle<http://www.usnews.com/Topics/tag/Author/m/marianne_lavelle/index.htm
>>> l>|
>>> Permanent
>>> Link<http://www.usnews.com/blogs/beyond-the-barrel/2008/3/25/going-biodiesel
>>> -is-no-cheap-alternative.html>
>>>
>>> The retail cost of highway diesel fuel is $3.99 per gallon‹thanks to tough
>>> environmental rules and strong global demand, especially in Europe. The
>>> national average retail price of diesel hit an all-time high for five weeks
>>> in a row, is above $4 per gallon in plenty of places, and is up 50 percent
>>> over one year ago.
>>>
>>> I thought this might make it a good market for biodiesel, the alternative
>>> fuel blended from vegetable or plant oils, but then I saw Autobloggreen's
>>> report<http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/03/16/high-soybean-price-halts-biod
>>> iesel-production-in-minnesota-plant/>on
>>> a Minnesota biodiesel plant that was halting production, at least
>>> temporarily, because of skyrocketing soybean oil costs.
>>>
>>> Guess what? Petroleum prices have yanked farm prices up right along with
>>> them, because of rising farm energy costs and rising use of biofuels. By
>>> now, everyone knows about corn prices and
>>> ethanol<http://www.usnews.com/usnews/news/articles/070204/12ethanol.htm>,
>>> but keep in mind that when farmers turn soy acres to corn for ethanol, that
>>> means higher prices for soy‹the most common feedstock for biodiesel in the
>>> United States. So the rising petroleum tide lifts all alternative
>>> boats......
>>> continued at:
>>>

>>> http://www.usnews.com/blogs/beyond-the-barrel/2008/03/25/going-biodiesel-is-
>>> no-cheap-alternative.html